As I mentioned in the post on Friday about my initial Royal wedding thoughts, I was going to try to get my friend Ashlee to write a blog post (or two) on the fashion side of things (not something anyone wants me to discuss as I have no expertise whatsoever). I had to try
really hard not hard at all to convince her to share her opinions with us.
“Royal Wedding Fascinators: The Good, The Bad, and The Beatrice”
Since the death of the fedora and pillbox in the 1960s, Americans have but one day a year to wear fashionable hats: The Kentucky Derby. But the Royal Wedding might just change all that. The zany array of headgear atop the heads of the rich and famous were the highlight of the day, second only to Kate Middleton’s dress. One thing is for sure: Irish milliner Philip Treacy is about to gain an entire continent of new clients who want to bring glamour and feathers back to formal dress. Here are the best, worst, and wackiest hats, plus advice on wearing a fascinator without looking ridiculous.
Victoria Beckham in deep navy, by Philip Treacy
Carole Middleton in powder blue, by Jane Corbett
Princess Marie-Chantal of Greece in silver, by Philip Treacy
Lady Kitty Spencer in beige, by Philip Treacy
Tara Palmer-Tomkinson in electric blue, by Philip Treacy
Chelsy Davy in beige floral
Miriam Gonzalez Durantez in a black turban with red flowers
Princesses Beatrice & Eugenie. Both by Philip Treacy. No explanation required.
Here’s how I rocked a fascinator on the royal wedding day!
To avoid alerting the fashion police, here are a few tips for donning a haute hat:
- Choose a hairpiece in a demure color. Think all white, all black, or a versatile neutral, like grey flannel or tan.
- If hats aren’t your style, consider a floral/feather hair clip or headband. You get the same flirty effect as a fascinator without committing to the full hat.
- Keep the dress and accessories simple. No wild floral or geometric prints, no blingy bangles.
- Keep the makeup demure. Brown or grey on the lids, light liquid eyeliner, and a matte pink or berry lip. A red lip risks looking like an extra on Mad Men
- Confidence! Don’t apologize for taking a fashion risk.
Do you agree with Ashlee's fashion reviews? Let us know in the comments. She can handle the heat!